I need a new rifle.   I have access to the old Lee-Enfield .303s that I've used for years, and more recently I've been using a Lee-Enfield that has been converted to fire the 7.62 x 39 cartridge.  These certainly do the business, but I have a hankering for a gun that has a moderator fitted, and which I'd feel confident using for dropping a deer at 200 yards.

I'd like a rifle that uses common, readily available ammo.  Not something strange, expensive and rare.  So I'm leaning toward either a .223 or a .308

A stainless steel version would be nice.

I've been looking at Tikka, Savage, Mossberg Maverick, Rossi and Baikal.   A single shot would be adequate, although I think I'd rather have a bolt action repeater.

I don't know much about Rossi, although they do seem to get mixed reviews.  The single shot 'Pomba' can be bought for under $400 new, and I would be mighty tempted to buy one to get me going.   But perhaps I should save longer to get something a bit more elaborate.  I certainly want a good moderator, and a reliable telescopic sight.

I'd be interested to hear comments from anyone who knows anything about Rossi rifles (made in Brazil I think).

While I was researching the topic, I came across this really good NZ website.  It is a new site, but the information there is very useful and interesting.  The guy that runs it has a very forthright manner, but he is really helpful and heckuva knowledgable.  Here is the link:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/

So I'm looking out for suitable second-hand rifles already fitted with a moderator.

If you have any comments or ideas, I'd love to read them.

Best wishes from Nelson...   Stephen Coote

Views: 2533

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dang.  I'll bet you showed those hares who's boss.  Very nice.

RSS

Support Us

Shop through this affiliate link portal as we get a small commission:

www.fishpond.co.nz

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2019   Created by Ryan Johnson-Hunt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service