Well we went all out for this one, using my knowledge of wood and tools, some ideas that I had and Jessie's boundless enthusiasm.

A piece of Kanuka was set up in the lathe and rounded before we marked out the measurements:

Next was just a case of cutting it down to the marks and then sanding it smooth:

Once the compartment was bored out a lid made of Rimu was screwed on and sanded to match:

With a coping saw and files I made a groove that locks onto the nail when the lid is swung closed while the other nail works as the swivel:

And the finished result, a great effort by my wonderful lady on her first turn on the lathe.
You can see better in the next two pictures how the lid works:

And the contents, the lures were made by me and Jessie from some mussel shell we found at the beach and some copper electrical wire:

Views: 1671

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of BushcraftNZ to add comments!

Join BushcraftNZ

Comment by Te Hopo on December 30, 2010 at 18:40

I made sure it was well fixed to the face plate and the tail stock well stuck in and then we just went down each side slowly.

Then we removed the tail stock, parted off most of the waste and turned the nub down to leave the compartment.

Yup, the lures work fine for kahawai I've found.


Comment by zakk tustin on December 30, 2010 at 16:20
awesome job on the lath. I'm jealous as I'm shit at using a wood lath. the handle i had to make for a tool box at school is really bad as it dips in and out :( . also how did you bore it out? and do those lures work?

Comment by Andrew McKay on November 17, 2010 at 19:27
Awesome, thanks

Comment by Te Hopo on November 17, 2010 at 18:35
Gidday mate, we tried both casting and bottom fishing and were using what we could find on the rocks such as mussels, snails, limpits, crabs and stuff.

The line on this is easily 10kg and hasn't felt strained on any fish so far.
We aren't going for trophies though, anything big enough to eat is all we're after. :)

Comment by Andrew McKay on November 17, 2010 at 17:15
What fishing methods were you using Te Hopo? Boat, off the rocks etc? And what bait did you find successful?

Comment by Scott Hamilton on November 13, 2010 at 9:33
BY the way, nice job on the handline, looks like it will work really good.

Comment by Scott Hamilton on November 13, 2010 at 9:31
I came across this hobo kit, called 'hunter handline'. I really like this, fits over one finger and you cast it underhand. Will look at making one when I get a lathe to use, may make it slightly bigger so as to have somewhere to store sinkers etc.

Comment by Ryan Johnson-Hunt on November 9, 2010 at 21:13
Well done Jessie, it came out great!

Comment by Te Hopo on November 9, 2010 at 12:10
Just as an extra, this has proven great fun to fish with.
We have caught kahawai, blue cod, herrings and plenty of spotties on this using the gear it holds and mussels and crabs for bait.

Support Us

Shop through this affiliate link portal as we get a small commission:



  • Add Videos
  • View All


  • Add Photos
  • View All

© 2020   Created by Ryan Johnson-Hunt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service