As per the post title really...

What knife do you use out in the Bush?? I've had a few TBH and currently I use a Fallkniven F1.

So let us know what you use....

Views: 12125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Lachlan, check out this link for the Bahco 2444 (mora clipper) from bunnings

I use a Frosts Mora knife (model 760) and a Leatherman Core. But I can't believe some people have Bark River knives. They are hard to come by here in New Zealand.

G'day - interesting thread and my first post.  I've bookmarked the site and will go and snag a stainless Bahco Clipper from Bunnings or similar to put in my kayak kit ASAP.

I've been using the same Frosts Mora training knives since attending a couple of Ray Mears courses in the UK a few years back (plus a Gerber multitool).  I recently bought a couple of carbon steel 510 MG's off his Bushcraft website as they have a special run, if anyone is interested. 10 quid each plus same in postage. I bought a couple of 510's and a DC3 whetstone and the postage was still 10 quid.

Neil

Welcome Neil.   I must check out the Ray Mear's website.
so i went to the warehouse today and came across a Smith and Wesson branded clipper. I think it's the stainless model and for $10 on sale I couldn't go past it. It surprised me with the quality a bit and i am really happy with. I am going back tomorrow to buy another for my tackle box.
Hi guys I'm new here and while I really like the F1. I thought I would make my own knife for bushcraft/survival. I hope the picture loads. It is made of 4mm thick D2 steel. Flat ground with a convex edge. The blade length is 4 1/2 inches and the fittings are stainless steel and the handle scales are G10. This knife is about the 10th one I have made. It's pretty bullet proof and sharp as buggery. If you want to know any more about it let me know,or if you want to see any of the others I have made.
Attachments:

That is a nice knife Kevin.

Can you describe the method you used for heat treating?   Where did you get the steel?

Welcome to the forum.

Best wishes from Nelson.... Stephen Coote.

Thanks Stephen.

D2 is a complex tool steel with almost enough chrome in it to make it a stainless steel. But at the same time it is probably tougher than most stainless and is famously known for excellent edge holding. It needs to be carefully heat treated in a controlled environment for maximum performance.

I work exclusively with D2 and send my blades to a professional heat treating firm in Auckland. It costs about $48 for up to 5 blades plus courier. Additional blades are about $5.00 each plus GST if done at the same time as the first 5. I have them treated to HRC 60. I get my steel from a firm again in Auckland called Special Steels and Metals. They sell D2 and 440C and 01 Gauge plate in sizes suitable for knives.    

Thanks Kevin, that is useful information.

awesome knife mate,,do you make them for others,i've been looking at a bark river in a2 steel, but yours looks just as good,well done,cheers

I've got a golok like that.  It seems to be one of the toughest all-purpose 'machete-style' tools I've played with so far.  It is probably a bit thick and heavy to use for chopping light stuff like blackberry vines, but it is a good thing to have.   I keep mine under the front seat of my wagon.   My one came from the widow of the guy that owned it.  She said he had it during the Vietnam war.  The sheath looks fairly military.

Hmmm.  I must check out Kiwidisposals.   I don't think I'd heard of them up until now.  Thanks.

I think that it is a good sign you can sharpen it with a file.   If it wasn't easy to cut with a file, it could mean it was too hard.... thus probably too brittle for a lot of hammering and levering.

RSS

Support Us

Shop through this affiliate link portal as we get a small commission:

www.fishpond.co.nz

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2019   Created by Ryan Johnson-Hunt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service