Hello all.
Great to see this resource here in NZ.
I grew up in rural Ireland spending lots of time out and about in the wild.
I love trout fishing and combine this with a bit of trekking and camping here in New Zealand, been here for 6 years now.
My latest interest is bow making and I have completed a few self bows now- complete with linen strings.
I have seen a tutorial online for bowstrings made of muka (fibres from harakeke) and want to try this.
Happy bushcrafting.
Liam.

Views: 99

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice bows! Is that the linen string from the army surplus place on k rd by any chance? I love that stuff

Great to have you on board Liam welcome to the network. I am currently working on a post about traditional plant uses by Maori and there are a few mentions of traditional cordage you might be interested in. Anyway I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
The linen bowstring is reverse twisted from two plies of three strands each of shoe makers waxed linen.
The handle wrap however is made from the linen string from kiwi disposals on k' rd!
Thanks for the comment on the bows.
I often wonder what the military application is- anyone know?
I remember reading that it maintains strength when wet, and has natural resistance to rot. Cant think what the actual use would be other than a general purpose twine.

I guess the bowstring itself is its own science and art! Looking forward to learning more about it.

Catch you later

RSS

Support Us

Shop through this affiliate link portal as we get a small commission:

www.fishpond.co.nz

Videos

• Add Videos

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2019   Created by Ryan Johnson-Hunt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service